Part One: Market Research
You have observed that the NYSE has been extremely volatile over the last month. Select any 30 day period in the last year and plot the behavior of the NYSE over that period on a graph, using Microsoft Excel. Address the following questions and cite your sources using APA format:
- What were the highs and lows for your selected 30-day Period? What is the projected long term trend based on this period? Justify your answers.
- What factors/events influenced market behavior over this 30-day period?
- How have these factors/events influenced market behavior for interest rates? Explain and justify your answers.
- How have these same factors/events affected the money markets? The bond markets? The mortgage markets? Explain and justify your answers.
- Has the Fed reacted with policies that are in response to these factors/events over the 30-day period? Explain the purpose of these policies, and justify your responses.
Part Two: The Mortgage Markets
You have been offered a house that is available for sale at a price of $320,000, and financing with a minimum down payment of 20% and an annual fixed interest rate of 5.5%, for 20 years. Your personal credit rating is not excellent, but considered good.
- Research the current market for mortgage interest rates being offered in your area, and also those for two other areas across the country. Zillow andBankrate are two sites offering mortgage rates, but you can use another site of your choice. Cite any sources using APA format.
Answer the following questions, and provide a rationale for your responses:
- How do the mortgage interest rates being offered in your area compare to rates being offered in other areas across the country?
- What factors cause the differences in mortgage rates across the country?
- What factors cause the differences offered to individuals in the same market?
- What are the trends for interest rates in your area?
- If you were the lender on the mortgage in the above-noted scenario, would you want to hold or sell this mortgage? What factors would you consider when deciding to hold or sell the mortgage? Explain and justify your responses.
- Assume you accept the conditions of the loan and purchase the home with the described financing. Using a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, construct an amortization schedule showing the amount of each payment that goes to interest and the amount that is applied to the loan balance.
- How much of the third payment goes to interest, and how much is applied to the principal balance?
- You would like to pay off the loan on the day the 100th payment is due. What is the payoff, assuming no penalties?
- By Tuesday, October 27, 2015, submit your answers to the questions in Part One, using a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, to the W3: Assignment 2 Dropbox. Use good form, cite your sources, and show all your calculations and conclusions.
Name your document SU_ ECO3007_W3_A2_Part1_LastName_FirstInitial
- By Tuesday, October 27, 2015, submit your responses to the questions in Part Two, using a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, to the W3: Assignment 2 Dropbox. Use good form, cite all sources using APA format, and show all your calculations and conclusions.
Thanks for installing the Bottom of every post plugin by Corey Salzano. Contact me if you need custom WordPress plugins or website design.